Vehicle Salvage Title Rules in Ohio

Clerk of Courts Schedule of Charges

The title and miscellaneous charges assessed by this workplace are prescribed by the statutes and provisions set forth by the External linkOhio Revised Code.

Unique Title $15.00
Alternative Titles $15.00
Duplicate Titles $15.00
Lien Notations (with or with out memo) $15.00
Repossession Titles $15.00
Leasing Seller $15.00
Seller Resale w/Lien or Lien Notation $15.00
Each day Rental, Firm and Vendor $15.00
Salvage with Lien (with or with out memo) $15.00
Memorandum Solely $5.00
Seller Resale Titles $5.00
Late Charge $5.00
Archive Charge $5.00
Salvage Titles $4.00
Salvage Alternative $4.00
Inspection Charge $1.50
Affidavit Charge $1.00

Opens in new windowTitle Fees and Classifications (PDF)


The way to Get an Ohio Salvaged Title

Step one to getting your whole loss car repaired, inspected, and retitled is acquiring a salvaged title. You’ll be able to apply for an OH salvage title in individual at your local BMV title office by submitting:

  • A accomplished Application(s) for Certificate of Title to a Motor Vehicle (Type BMV 3774).
  • Your automotive’s certificates of title.
  • Potential required paperwork out of your insurance coverage firm or lienholder, if relevant.
    • Contact your insurance coverage firm and the BMV title workplace for the paperwork particular to your scenario.
  • Cost for the $4 salvage title charge and some other related prices. 
    • Name the title workplace forward of time about some other county-related charges and taxes it’s possible you’ll owe.

Now that you’ve your salvaged title, it’s time to begin repairing your automotive to the state’s security and authorized requirements. You might select to do that by yourself or take your automotive to a restore store for those who aren’t accustomed to rebuilding automobiles.

You probably have questions on making use of for a salvaged title in OH, name the Bureau of Motor Autos at (614) 752-7671. 

OH Rebuilt Title Utility

To use for a rebuilt automotive title with the OH Bureau of Motor Autos, present the next gadgets at your local BMV title office:

  • A accomplished Application(s) for Certificate of Title to a Motor Vehicle (Type BMV 3774).
  • Your salvage car title.
  • Proof that your car handed inspection.
  • Cost for the relevant title charges—this varies by county, so name the title workplace forward of time for specifics on what you’ll owe.

When all of your paperwork is permitted, the BMV will difficulty a brand new Ohio certificates of title, stamped “Rebuilt Salvage.” With this title, you may legally drive your automotive once more and even promote it as a roadworthy car.

For those who need assistance placing collectively your rebuilt title utility, don’t hesitate to name the OH BMV at (614) 752-7671.

Getting an Inspection

Current all required documentation for salvage inspections:

  • Ohio salvage title within the title of the individual applying for title. Assigned titles and out-of-state salvage titles are usually not accepted.
  • Receipts for all changed “main part elements” (listed under). This contains the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the supply car.
  • If receipts are from a casual sale by a person, they should be notarized.
  • Photocopies of receipts are usually not acceptable.
  • The inspection officer might require receipts or documentation for any a part of questionable origin (ORC, Part 4505.11).

Manufactured Properties

What do I have to promote my manufactured house?

The vendor should full the project of possession portion on the again of the title within the presence of a notary public earlier than presenting it to the customer. If the manufactured house has not been beforehand titled, the vendor should current proof of possession to our workplace and set up an Ohio title of their title earlier than it may be offered. Name 614.525.3090 for particulars.

What steps do I have to take to switch a manufactured house into my title?

  1. Get hold of conveyance charge and switch stamps by presenting the assigned title to the Franklin County Auditor’s Workplace, Conveyance Tax & Switch Part positioned at theFranklin County Courthouse 373 S. Excessive St., 19th flooring Columbus, OH 43215Fees might apply. Please name 614.525.3253 or go to the External linkFranklin County Auditor’s website.
  2. Get hold of a purple “taxes paid” validation stamp by presenting the assigned title to the Franklin County Treasurer’s Workplace, positioned at theFranklin County Courthouse 373 S. Excessive St., 17th flooring Columbus, OH 43215Please name 614.525.3438 or go to theExternal link Franklin County Treasurer’s website for particulars.
  3. Current your Title to the Clerk of Courts Auto Title workplace to finish the switch course of.

What’s A Salvage Automobile Title?

Doubtlessly a purple flag! A salvage title is a type of title that’s given to a car that has sustained main harm or has been written off as salvage by an insurance coverage firm. One of these title is taken into account a “branded” title and signifies that in some unspecified time in the future within the historical past of this car, it was deemed a complete loss by an insurance coverage firm. It additionally means that you could be or might not be capable of insure the car sooner or later.

Restore and Receipt Necessities

You want a receipt for the varied main elements used to restore the car or any that value $100 or extra. Registration numbers or different identification numbers positioned on restore elements should stay on the half. The car could also be modified, akin to tinted home windows as an alternative of clear or bucket seats as an alternative of bench seats. Nevertheless, all repairs should be achieved in compliance with road authorized car laws. As an illustration, cracked windshields, broken or non-working head lights and tail lights or a scarcity of seat belts are usually not allowed in a rebuilt car.

Discovering Insurance coverage

After getting your rebuilt title, you will see that getting legal responsibility insurance coverage is comparatively straightforward by most corporations. One of these protection will cowl people who your car hits, and the price of the insurance coverage isn’t affected by the title of the car.

Alternatively, getting different kinds of insurance coverage protection on the car generally is a bit tougher. Many corporations won’t provide full protection on a rebuilt title just because the worth of the car (SUV. Ford, Nissan, and so forth.) might be tough to find out. The insurance coverage corporations generally hesitate relating to providing protection on rebuilt salvage automobiles.

Nevertheless some insurers on the market will provide insurance coverage on these automobiles with rebuilt titles. One of the crucial broadly identified is Progressive, however you could find others as nicely.

Begin in search of insurance coverage corporations that can provide protection for these salvage public sale automobiles earlier than you really purchase. Have a listing of potential corporations prepared, and see what they must say in regards to the value. Usually, the costs shouldn’t be greater than when insuring a brand new car or one other car with an everyday title, for the reason that insurance coverage firm will not be taking over any extra threat within the occasion the automotive is in an accident.

For Destruction

No motorized vehicle the certificates of title to which has been marked "For Destruction" and surrendered to a clerk of a court docket of frequent pleas shall be used for something besides elements and scrap steel. By no means purchase a car with one of these title with the hopes of restoring it.

Featured Video