How to get a speeding ticket off your record?

Types of California Traffic Tickets

Traffic tickets are issued in California for a variety of infractions:

  • Failed equipment, such as a headlight being out
  • Non-moving violations, such as parking violations
  • Moving violations, such as speeding
  • Improper paperwork, such as not having proof of insurance, missing or expired driver’s license, and expired registration


9. Get a Pardon

Nevada law has a procedure to pardon people for criminal offenses.

Officials can grant a full or conditional pardon under Nevada Revised Statutes 213.020.

In theory, a pardon might seem like a good way to get rid of a speeding ticket that occurs under unfair circumstances or when there were extenuating issues that make your conviction unjust.

In reality, however, officials grant very few pardons. While getting a pardon might seem like a great plan, most people have a better chance of hitting the jackpot at a Nevada casino.

A Skilled Legal Aid Fighting Your Traffic Ticket

No one likes getting traffic tickets. But when you get one, you need an attorney that can listen to you and offer sound legal advice. You need a Tampa traffic ticket defense attorney who understands the law and how it applies to your case, what can happen to you, and how to fight it.

If you need to maintain a clean driving record, help is available in Hillsborough, Pasco, Polk, Pinellas, Manatee, and Sarasota counties. Book a FREE case evaluation by calling us today at (813) 967-2000.

2. Contest the citation

If you are unable to attend traffic school in exchange for removal of the ticket from your driving record, you could try to contest it. When you contest a ticket, you are essentially pleading not guilty instead of accepting the citation. This strategy is a long-shot — in most cases, the officer who cited you will be present to answer your contestation and provide evidence of why you were cited. However, it may be worth a try if your citation is serious or you have solid evidence showing why you were incorrectly cited.

It takes extra work to contest a ticket — you will need to go to court and argue your case. Having evidence showing why you believe the officer who ticketed you was wrong would improve your chances of success. Depending on the severity of the ticket, you may want to bring an attorney, although it is not required.

Look for technicalities that could help you win your case. If your name or other information on the ticket was entered incorrectly or missing, the judge may side with you. If you are lucky enough to appear in court and the officer does not show, your case may also be dismissed. Although small technicalities can help you win your case, be prepared to provide evidence showing why the ticket should be dismissed.

Texas Fines and Penalties

In Texas, all tickets are assigned fines and penalties. In addition, the Texas Driver Responsibility Program (DRP) allows the state to slap drivers with additional surcharges for certain violations, on top of the fines associated with that ticket. You’ll receive a letter in the mail outlining any additional surcharges you may have to pay.

Surcharges are applied based on two factors: points and convictions. Keep in mind, if you have both points and a conviction added to your driving record, you could be charged separate fines for both!

Here’s what you can expect for each:


Every traffic violation has either 2 or 3 points associated with it. If you are convicted of a traffic violation, the points associated with that ticket will be added to your Texas driver record —and they’ll remain there for 3 years from the date of your conviction.

  • 2 points: any Texas or out-of-state traffic conviction
  • 3 points: any Texas or out-of-state conviction involving a crash

Even just one 2-point assessment on your record could result in higher insurance rates. If you continue to get traffic tickets and have 6 or more points added to your record, you will be forced to pay a surcharge every year until those points are reduced. These fines are as follows:

  1. $100 for the first 6 points
  2. $25 for each additional point over 6


Certain violations carry surcharges that are automatically assessed to you once your conviction is added to your record. You’ll be required to pay the fee for 3 years from the date of conviction, and the surcharge can be much more expensive than point-based charges. Here is a list of conviction-based surcharges and what you can expect to pay annually:

  • $1000 – Driving while intoxicated (DWI), first offense
  • $1,500 – DWI, two or more offenses
  • $2,000 – DWI with BAC of .16 or greater
  • $250 – No insurance
  • $250 – Driving with an invalid license
  • $100 – Driving without a license

5. Ask for a deferral

A deferral pushes back the ticket to a later date, buying you time before it shows up on your driving record. Preventing or delaying your insurance company from seeing your moving may help keep your insurance from going up. When you choose to pursue a deferral, the moving violation will not show on your record while the court deliberates your case. In most cases, deferrals last for one year.

Getting a deferral takes some effort and requires patience. You may need to appear before the court to ask for it. A judge or the district attorney typically has to approve your request. Court fees could cost you between $100 to $300, although the cost of a deferral may be cheaper than the increase in your insurance premiums after a moving violation hits your driving record.

You may be thinking that this method does not help much because the ticket will eventually show on your driving record. However, if you avoid any other tickets during the time frame your ticket is pushed back, it may be dismissed entirely. If you do not typically get speeding tickets or other types of traffic violations, this approach could be successful if you manage to avoid any further tickets in the year time frame of the deferral.

Finding a Defensive Driving Course in Louisiana

There are several places you can look for a defensive driving course in Louisiana. It’s important that you choose a course that is approved by the state authorities.

You should always check which areas a course covers. Your judge will outline any specific things that your course needs to cover.

That said, most courses cover everything you’ll need. This is why you may find that not every part of a course feels relevant to your ticket. Nevertheless, you should pay attention to everything.

Some courses require you to take a final exam at the end of them. If this is the case, it’s worth checking if you’re allowed to retake this – a lot of courses will let you do this. The last thing you want is to fail the test and be stuck with the ticket!

Finally, it’s important to look for a course that sits within your budget. These courses can range from anything between $10 and $150.

How to get a speeding ticket off your record?

– Defensive Driving or Traffic School is often an option depending on the ticket being dismissed

Courts often allow an individual to take a defensive driving class at a traffic school in order to dismiss the ticket. Dismissing a ticket keeps the ticket from going onto your driving record. Defensive Driving Classes range in length depending on the state.

– Sometimes deferred adjudication is an option that often requires a probationary period and or traffic safety class

Deferred adjudication is another way to dismiss a traffic ticket but this method of dismissal may require a probationary period. During the 30 to 90 day probationary period, no additional traffic citations may be received. If a person gets a ticket during the probation period the ticket they are trying to dismiss with deferred adjudication will be put on the person’s driving record and they may be required to pay the rest of the court fees.

– Communicate to the court how you would like the case to be dismissed

The officer may offer suggestions on how to dismiss the traffic ticket but ultimately the court decides the acceptable form of dismissal for the violation. Since the court decides if a ticket can be dismissed it is important that you confirm your options of ticket dismissal with them first before proceeding. Many courts often require you to first pay court fees then they give you between 60 and 90 days to meet your terms of dismissal.

– Take the class as needed

If traffic school or defensive driving is required to dismiss your traffic ticket it is important that you take your class as soon as possible. Some schools must mail you your completion certificates so you need to finish the course early to allow for time to receive the certificate in the mail. If you do end up putting the course off till the last minute many courses do offer overnight options for certificate delivery at a reasonable price.

– Get the completion document to the court before the due date

After you receive the certificate from the school you need to turn that paperwork into the course either by mail or in person. The certificates must be received on or before the due date. If you will not be able to turn the information in on time you would need to contact the court to see if they can offer a due date extension. Then after the documents are received by the court they will dismiss the ticket ensuring that no points are added to your driving record.

Taking Defensive Driving to Dismiss Your Traffic Citation

Once you have received your moving traffic violation, make sure with the court listed on your ticket that you are eligible to take a driver safety program. You can take a course online, in a classroom, or purchase a video. (For more information on defensive driving eligibility, Click Here) Once your eligibility has been confirmed, you must elect to take a driver safety course through the court. Notifying the court of your intention to take a defensive driving program will guarantee that your court will accept your certification following your completion of the defensive driving program. Once this information has been confirmed, you will be able to participate in a defensive driving course.

When you elect to take defensive driving through the courts, you are allotted 90 days to turn in your completion certificate. After you turn your certificate into the court, you will be able to prevent negative points from reaching your driving record. This will also keep your insurance provider from knowing that you received a citation, keeping your insurance rates low. When you receive you certificate in the mail, you will receive two copies: one for your insurance provider and one for the court. If you have not taken a driver safety class within the pass three (3) years for an insurance reduction, you may be able to receive a discount. (Click Here to learn more about receiving a discount on your auto insurance.)

Register Now