Content of the material
- Progressive’s cancellation policy
- Will Progressive Charge a Cancellation Fee?
- Alternative to Canceling
- ➤ Suspending
- ➤ Ask for a Price Match
- Step #5: Pay Cancellation Fee (If Applicable)
- 8. How to Cancel Progressive Auto Insurance in 5 Steps
- 10 Confessions Of A Progressive Insurance Rep – Consumer …
- What Is the Progressive Cancel Refund Policy?
- How to cancel Progressive auto insurance
- Can you cancel Progressive auto insurance online?
- #3 Where can I find new car insurance after canceling my Progressive policy?
- Considerations for canceling your Progressive policy
- Will I receive a refund or owe money if I cancel?
- Where does Progressive require additional information?
- Can someone else cancel my Progressive policy for me?
- Be sure to have another policy before canceling
- Consider suspending your policy instead of canceling
- Purchase A New Policy Before Cancellation Of Your Current Policy
- Reasons for Cancelling Your Policy
- Progressive Insurance Cancellation FAQ
- Can Progressive Insurance Be Canceled Online?
- Does Progressive Charge a Cancellation Fee?
- What Is Progressive’s Refund Policy?
- Does Progressive Insurance Raise Rates After 6 Months?
- Canceling Your Progressive Policy
- What you will need:
- How to cancel by phone:
- How to cancel by email:
- How to cancel by mail:
- How to Cancel Progressive Insurance Online?
- Bottom line
Progressive’s cancellation policy
Progressive doesn’t typically allow you to cancel your auto policy online, which means you have to contact Progressive on the phone and speak to a customer service agent. This can be less than ideal if you don’t enjoy getting into discussions about canceling a service over the phone, but the process is often quick and straightforward.
Although many people choose to switch to a new insurance company at their renewal date, you’re typically able to cancel your Progressive policy at any time. Keep in mind that you might incur cancellation fees depending on the state you live in and your specific policy details. But in many cases, you might not have any cancellation fees and you’ll receive a refund for any unused portion of your policy.
Will Progressive Charge a Cancellation Fee?
Progressive will charge a $50 cancelation fee if you cancel within your first term; meaning your policy has not yet renewed. Once the policy has renewed there will no longer be a cancellation fee.
Alternative to Canceling
If the reason you would like to cancel your Progressive policy is because you genuinely will not be using your car for an extended period of time (i.e., a long vacation), of course canceling is an option. However, doing so is not always easy. If you are not selling your vehicle, in certain states you must provide signed documentation at your DMV stating that you will not be driving your vehicle anymore.
If you live in such a state and want to avoid the red tape of involving the DMV, an alternative would be to purchase “Stored Vehicle” or “Seasonal Vehicle” insurance coverage from your existing carrier. This will always cost a lot less than standard vehicle insurance and avoid any issues that could arise from a lapse in coverage.
➤ Ask for a Price Match
You can ask Progressive to match a lower quote from another provider for the same policy. In most cases, the person who answers the phone cannot cut your charges. However, the agent may ask questions to check if you qualify for untapped savings. For example, you may save money by bundling your house and auto insurance policy. If Progressive offers you a home-and-auto bundle, shop around to make sure it’s the best rate. If you’re able to receive reduced premiums from Progressive, that’s terrific. The quicker you start that lower policy, the greater your savings will be.
Step #5: Pay Cancellation Fee (If Applicable)
If your Progressive policy isn’t up for renewal any time soon, you can still cancel. However, you might have to pay cancellation fees.
8. How to Cancel Progressive Auto Insurance in 5 Steps
How to cancel Progressive auto insurance coverage? Progressive permits cancellations by phone. You will also want to ask for a refund, (24)…
10 Confessions Of A Progressive Insurance Rep – Consumer …
A former Progressive car insurance customer service rep has stepped forward into the light to give us the low-down on how his ex-employer (25)… Download Progressive and enjoy it on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Easy access to your insurance, whenever and wherever you need it.(26)…
What Is the Progressive Cancel Refund Policy?
When you cancel your Progressive insurance plan or switch to another insurer, you are entitled to a prorated refund.
Customers with homeowner’s insurance should inquire about a refund when moving to a new location. If the area is located in a ZIP code with lower rates, Progressive might refund the difference compared to your old coverage.
Under specific circumstances, you can receive a refund on your premium. When there’s less traffic on the road over a longer period of time due to unforeseen events, Progressive will provide customers with relief measures.
How to cancel Progressive auto insurance
There are a few ways to start the cancellation process, depending on the insurance company. While it would be the most convenient option for most, unfortunately, you can’t cancel Progressive policy online. Progressive cancellation policies require you to call instead. Follow these steps:
- Call customer service at 1-866-416-2003.
- Provide the effective date of the cancellation.
- Provide the name of the new insurance carrier, if applicable.
- Ask if you are eligible for a refund of any premiums paid in advance.
Can you cancel Progressive auto insurance online?
At this time, Progressive does not allow you to cancel your auto insurance online. You’ll need to call customer service to terminate your coverage.
#3 Where can I find new car insurance after canceling my Progressive policy?
You should get a new policy before canceling your Progressive insurance. However, it’s not that hard to get quick auto insurance if you canceled first.
We can help you out. Use our tool below to get free quotes from multiple auto insurers.
Considerations for canceling your Progressive policy
Based on the uncertainty of how much Progressive will refund you on your unused portion of the policy you wish to cancel, you may want to consider carefully if the expense is worth canceling now, or waiting for when the term renews.
Will I receive a refund or owe money if I cancel?
As mentioned above, Progressive may refund a portion of your remaining unused policy. Each state and policy may have its own rules, so to determine any refund amount, you’ll need to contact an agent.
Where does Progressive require additional information?
There are no additional requirements to cancel your car insurance once you decide to switch or end your coverage. However, nearly all states require you to keep a minimum amount of auto insurance in force.
Can someone else cancel my Progressive policy for me?
Progressive will require the insurance policy owner to cancel the policy. To ensure it’s you, you’ll be required to answer some questions to verify you are the owner who has called to cancel.
Be sure to have another policy before canceling
When canceling your car insurance because you’re switching, make sure your new policy will be in force the same day your Progressive car insurance cancels. Let Progressive know which carrier is taking over for their records. If you don’t, Progressive may be legally required to report you to the DMV. Depending on the state, not having insurance on your vehicle could affect you in a few ways:
- Your license could be suspended and will have to pay a pricey license reinstatement fee.
- You may be unable to renew your vehicle’s registration.
- You could be charged a fine.
- In more extreme cases, you could face jail time.
Consider suspending your policy instead of canceling
If you’re worried about canceling your insurance and facing bigger legal issues from lapsed coverage, you may be better off suspending your policy for a certain period of time. Suspending your policy still takes work — some states may require you to file an “affidavit of non-use” at your local DMV before you can put your coverage on hold (because suspending your policy assumes you are not driving that vehicle for a time). Ask your insurance carrier if they have policy alternatives such as stored or seasonal vehicle coverage for a reduced price instead.
Purchase A New Policy Before Cancellation Of Your Current Policy
Being uninsured for even a day can have expensive consequences. If you plan to own a car after you cancel your policy, you will need to have purchased a new policy prior to your cancellation date.
Be proactive about lining up your cancellation date with the date your new policy comes into effect. Letting your coverage lapse could result in liability for damages caused by an at-fault accident, as well as high premiums later on. A lapse in coverage on your record will earn you a label of "high-risk driver."
Reasons for Cancelling Your Policy
There are several reasons why you might be thinking about cancelling your Progressive policy. Life changes often cause drivers to cancel their Progressive policy in search of a better fit. Here are a few reasons why you might want be ready for something new:
- You moved to a cheaper area: One of the many factors used to calculate your car insurance rates is your location, specifically your zip code. Moving from an urban, high-crime area to a rural, low-crime neighborhood will affect the cost of your auto insurance premium.
- You removed a driver from your policy: If you’ve recently removed a high-risk driver from your policy, you might find that other insurance providers now offer cheaper rates. This could influence your decision to cancel your existing policy to save money.
- You found a cheaper insurance policy: Regularly comparing car insurance rates might reveal deals that were unavailable a few months prior. With a more affordable insurance policy calling your name, there’s not much reason to stick with your old company.
- You want to bundle your home and car insurance: Although Progressive offers customers bundled home and car insurance, other insurers may offer the same deals for less.
- Your vehicle was stolen: If your car was stolen and you plan to purchase a new one, your car insurance rates could change drastically. If so, you might choose to cancel your old insurance policy and search for a new one more suited to your needs.
- Your vehicle was totaled: Similar to a stolen vehicle, most drivers won’t purchase the same car twice. A new car will affect your insurance rates, and you’ll be looking for the cheapest options on the market.
Progressive Insurance Cancellation FAQ
Are there still some things you want to know about your Progressive Insurance cancellation? Here are some of the most frequently asked questions.
Can Progressive Insurance Be Canceled Online?
Unfortunately, you cannot cancel Progressive Insurance online at the moment as the service does not allow it. If you wish to cancel, you should do it over the phone instead.
Does Progressive Charge a Cancellation Fee?
In some states, Progressive will charge a flat fee, or it may charge 10% of your premium. Meanwhile, in other states, customers do not have to deal with any fee when canceling their insurance, even if they do it mid-policy. If there are any unused premiums, customers will get a refund for them, or at least the amount left after taking the cancellation fee.
What Is Progressive’s Refund Policy?
The refund policy of the service states that all customers will receive a refund for any premiums that went unused, except for the cancellation fees that may apply depending on the case. If the insurance coverage is canceled by the customer before the end of the policy term, they can get a refund.
Also, if someone did not set up automatic monthly payments, then they will receive their refund in 2-3 business days after the cancellation. Individuals who paid for their policy online, with a check, or by phone will get a refund after 12 business days.
Does Progressive Insurance Raise Rates After 6 Months?
In some cases, Progressive will raise its rates after 6 months. If you are a new customer with Progressive, you will notice that the premium of your car insurance will rise after the first 6-month policy period, especially if you file traffic violations or a claim to be added to the record in the meantime.
Most of the time, the rate for auto insurances increases as a result of an insurance risk increase for the holder of the policy. Another reason is the fact that the market-wide insurance costs increase over time.
Canceling Your Progressive Policy
The quickest way to cancel is to call the main customer care line at 888-671-4405. Agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to take your call.
What you will need:
- Policy number
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- *Proof of replacement coverage
*They may require you to submit proof of replacement coverage if you want same day cancellation. Although you can cancel your policy the same day you call, it is strongly advised you to wait so Progressive can’t charge you a cancellation fee. More on that later.
How to cancel by phone:
- Call Progressive at 1-888-671-4405 to cancel.
- Indicate the date you wish to cancel.
- Purchase a replacement insurance policy prior to termination to avoid coverage gaps.
- Pay any cancellation fees.
- Verify your reimbursement for unused premiums.
Progressive says you will get a reimbursement for unused coverage. They don’t say how they prorate refunds or if they incur cancellation costs.
How to cancel by email:
To cancel via email, you will first need to log onto your progressive account and then email them from there. Progressive states this step is necessary to protect your privacy. Once logged it, email them a notice of cancelation that includes the same information as listed above.
How to cancel by mail:
To cancel by mail, send a signed notice of cancelation that includes the same information as listed above to:
The Progressive Corporation6300 Wilson Mills Rd.Mayfield Village, Ohio 44143
How to Cancel Progressive Insurance Online?
Unfortunately, Progressive does not provide a way to cancel their insurance policies online. The only way to cancel a Progressive policy is to call their customer service department, email them a notice of cancelation or send them a physical letter that includes a signed notice of cancelation.
Canceling your Progressive policy doesn’t have to be a hassle, and in most cases, the process is quick and straightforward. But following the outlined steps above can still smooth out the transition and give you a better idea of what to expect.
And if you’re looking to switch policies because you want to save money on car insurance, it makes sense to prepare yourself ahead of time before you cancel. Remember that having car insurance is important and typically required by law, but getting a good deal on your coverage makes sense too.
Get a quote now Save up to $500 a year on your car insurance Compare dozens of providers in under 5 minutes Fast, free and easy way to shop for insurance Quickly find the perfect rate for you Get a quote now